Crown Oil’s Pledge: To be Carbon Neutral by April 2022 & Net Zero by 2030
Climate change is a serious problem that’s affecting the carbon cycle and impacting every single one of us. Due to the nature of our business, we recognise that our operations influence the local, regional and global environment, and are committed to implementing effective carbon-cutting solutions at every level of our operations.
As green measures have never been higher up the agenda, businesses have a responsibility to act now to contribute towards reducing the effects of climate change.
We’re passionate about taking this responsibility seriously and are transitioning to become a Net Zero company. As such, we now have a dedicated sustainability website which includes all the steps we’re taking to drastically reduce our environmental impact.
As of April 2022, the Crown Oil Group is now certified carbon neutral in accordance with PAS 2060:2014 standards. Our next big milestone is achieving Net Zero direct emissions (Scope 1 & 2) by 2030 or sooner.
How can we claim Net Zero?
- Carbon Strategy Report conducted by an external consultancy which details where we are now and the measures that we need to take over the next 5 years to reduce or carbon footprint
- Implementing a robust and transparent Carbon Reduction and Reporting Strategy which is aligned to international standards (PAS 2060, GHG protocol)
- All our emissions will be externally verified by a consultancy on a yearly basis and the reports freely available to all stakeholders
What is Crown Oil doing to achieve Net Zero?
Begins voluntarily offsetting delivery emissions
Heavily invests in HVO to help businesses reduce their environmental impact
Wins Fuel Oil News’ Tanker of the Year Award
Switches entire fleet to HVO
Wins UKIFDA Green Award
Office efficiency upgrades
Certified carbon neutral by April 2022
Starts company initiatives e.g. tree planting
Office buildings powered by renewable energy
Fuel system pump upgrades
Small vehicle upgrades to electric
Net Zero direct emissions
(Scope 1 & 2)
Our entire delivery fleet is run on HVO fuel
The oil companies within the Group are run on Crown HVO fuel, a drop-in alternative diesel fuel that reduces up to 90% of net CO2 emissions. This move will save over 3080 tonnes of net CO2 emissions released from our delivery fleet every year!
Offsetting tankers’ remaining delivery mileage
Over the last 11 years, from December 2007 to April 2020, we’ve offset over 37,500 tonnes of our tankers’ mileage, where we have funded carbon reducing initiatives across the globe. Counteracting the carbon used to supply our customers with the fuel they need to power their operations not only allows us to improve our environmental footprint but that of our customers’ too.
We are continuing to offset any remaining emissions from our delivery fleet.
Our current Group emissions (scope 1, 2 and 3 which we have direct control over) are approximately 8,934 tonnes (20/21 baseline). By simply switching our fleet to HVO, we will reduce these emissions by approximately 2,983 tCO2e.
What are we doing already?
- To cope with rocketing customer demand for greener fuels, we’ve invested in a new site to provide additional space for our expanding sustainable fuels operation. This will enable us to serve an even greater number of customers while carrying out more research and development into alternative products
- We use energy-saving light bulbs and energy-efficient equipment
- Where possible, we use electronic communications to reduce paper consumption e.g. online billing, emails, e-statements and direct debit
- We recycle all old IT equipment and barrels
- We offer sustainable fuel station loans and HVO trials to encourage the use of greener fuels
- We’ve implemented teleconferencing facilities to reduce the need to travel to meetings
- Our tankers and company cars are regularly serviced and maintained to ensure fuel efficiency
- We carefully plan all delivery routes to minimise delivery miles and reduce CO2 emissions
- Our employees are trained on environmental issues to ensure a full, cohesive team effort when reducing our carbon footprint
Our 2022/23 plans to help achieve Net Zero
- Installing solar panels on the roofs of the offices and yard
- Removing the old oil-fired heating system in the oil centre and replace it with modern electric heating
- Installing a heat recovery and ventilation system within Crown House and Crown Point – reduce emissions and create a healthier work environment for staff during Covid
- Reducing our use of plastics, set up community initiatives such as tree planting, improve recycling, energy reduction etc.