Doing Our Bit for the Planet
Human activity is impacting our environment and jeopardising its future. At Crown Oil, we realise that climate change is a serious problem that is affecting the carbon cycle and impacting every single one of us. That’s why we’re committed to implementing effective carbon-cutting solutions at every level of our operations.
Due to the nature of our business, we recognise that our operations have an effect on the local, regional and global environment. As a consequence, we are continuously seeking new ways to reduce our carbon footprint and our environmental impact.
UKIFDA Green Award Winner 2021
We are absolutely over the moon to have won the UK and Ireland Fuel Distributors Association (UKIFDA) Green Award for 2021. The award acknowledges our environmental initiatives within the liquid fuel distribution industry and further showcases our commitment to leading the way in sustainability and environmental performance for a decarbonised future.
Read more on this in our blog: We’ve been crowned UKIFDA’s Green Award Winner
Our entire delivery fleet is run on HVO fuel
The oil companies within the Crown Group are run on Crown HVO fuel, a drop-in alternative diesel fuel that reduces up to 90% of net CO2 emissions. This makes us the first fuel suppliers in the country to switch our entire fleet over to a 100% renewable diesel fuel.
Our delivery vehicles are the perfect showcase for the fuel and the switch will save over 3080 tonnes of net CO2 emissions per year!
Find out more: First UK fuel supplier to run entire fleet on HVO fuel.
Offset tankers’ remaining delivery mileage
As a fuel and lubricants distributor, we understand that we have an obligation to address our carbon emissions and we are fully committed to reducing our impact on the environment. We acknowledge that harmful carbon emissions are a necessary by-product of delivering oil to your home or business. In order to drive down our impact on the environment, we’ve been offsetting our carbon emissions since 2007.
Over the last 11 years, from December 2007 to April 2020, we have offset over 37,500 tonnes of our tankers’ mileage, where we have funded carbon reducing initiatives across the globe. Counteracting the carbon used to supply our customers with the fuel they need to power their operations not only allows us to improve our environmental footprint but that of our customers’ too.
What does this mean?
For every gallon of fuel that we use to make a delivery, we pay an environmental agency to reduce the equivalent amount of carbon through projects that prevent the release of CO2 into the atmosphere. Effectively, this makes our deliveries carbon-neutral.
Of course, this initiative costs us a little extra – but for the sake of ensuring a greener future for everyone, it’s a price we’re happy to pay. We believe that offsetting our delivery mileage in this manner can be part of the solution to global warming and reducing our CO2 output.
Please note: the cost of the carbon offsetting our mileage is fully funded by Crown Oil; it does not incur any extra cost to the customer.
Carbon Offset Red Diesel (C.O.R.D)
We also work with a leading carbon offset provider to offer carbon offset red diesel (C.O.R.D) to our customers, in turn helping to reduce their carbon environmental footprint. You don’t need to make any changes to your engine, you just pay a little extra to fund carbon-reducing initiatives across the world. This counteracts the carbon you release when using C.O.R.D.
To find out more about how we can help offset your business’s carbon footprint, call us on 0330 123 1444 today.
Regularly update and maintain our fleet
We regularly maintain and update our tankers to ensure maximum efficiency from our operational fleet. As a vehicle ages, harmful deposits build up in the engine, decreasing its efficiency and increasing its emissions. Modern vehicles are now more efficient than ever, with car manufacturers facing more rigorous environmental legislation. We boast an all-DAF fleet; harmonising our entire convoy to one manufacturer means we can also streamline the maintenance of our vehicles. This also allows us to prioritise the safety of our drivers and enables us to decrease our impact on air quality by using low emission engines. In addition, we encourage bulk buying to save fuel on deliveries and plan our distribution routes in advance to cut down on unnecessary mileage.
We also implement simple but effective ways to reduce our direct emissions in the office and when we’re out on the road:
- We use energy-saving light bulbs and energy-efficient equipment
- Where possible, we use electronic communications to reduce paper consumption e.g. online billing, emails, e-statements and direct debit
- We encourage the use of public transport when possible
- We recycle all old IT equipment and barrels
- We offer sustainable fuel station loans and HVO trials to encourage the use of greener fuels
- We have plans in place to install solar panels on all our buildings
- We’ve pledged to run all our buildings solely on renewable energy by December 2022
- We’ve been voluntarily offsetting our delivery miles since 2007
- We’ve implemented teleconferencing facilities to reduce the need to travel to meetings
- We rarely use paper, but when unavoidable, we only use recyclable paper
- Reduction, recovery and recycling strategies have helped us to reduce the amount of waste to eliminate methane production in a landfill
- Our tankers and company cars are regularly serviced to ensure fuel efficiency
- We carefully plan delivery routes to minimise delivery miles and reduce CO2 emissions
- Our employees are trained on environmental issues to ensure a full, cohesive team effort when reducing our carbon footprint