What is Fuel Oil used for?
What Is Fuel Oil?
Fuel oil is a distillate fuel that is commonly used for burning in furnaces, boilers, stoves and lanterns.
Fuel oil has many different names, but the most commonly used ones are:
Where Does Fuel Oil Come From?
Fuel oil is obtained from petroleum distillation and is any liquid fuel that is used to generate heat. Please see below for a diagram on how fuel oil is collected.
There are many different numbered fuel oils. Here are all the different variations and what those variations mean.
- Fuel Oil Number 1 – This is referred to as coal oil, stove oil and range oil. It is a volatile distillate oil.
- Fuel Oil Number 2 – This is referred to as heating oil or bunker a.
- Fuel Oil Number 3 – This is fuel for low-viscosity burning, but this fuel hasn’t been used too frequently since the mid-20th century.
- Fuel oil Number 4 – This is a commercial heating oil used for boilers/burners where preheaters and not installed.
- Fuel Oil Number 5 – This is an industrial heating oil and does need preheating to 77-104 °C this fuel is referred to as bunker b.
- Fuel Oil Number 6 – This is a residual oil which also needs preheating, but this requires preheating to 104-127 °C this fuel can be referred to as bunker c.
|Fuel Oil No. 1||Distillate No. 1||Diesel Fuel No. 1||Distillate||9-16|
|Fuel Oil No. 2||Distillate No. 2||Diesel Fuel No. 2||Distillate||10-20|
|Fuel Oil No. 3||Distillate No. 3||Diesel Fuel No. 3||Distillate|
|Fuel Oil No. 4||Distillate No. 4||Diesel Fuel No. 4||Distillate/Residual||12-70|
|Fuel Oil No. 5||Residual Fuel Oil No. 5||Heavy fuel oil||Residual||12-70|
|Fuel Oil No. 6||Residual Fuel Oil No. 1||Heavy fuel oil||Residual||12-70|
What Are The Benefits Of Using Fuel Oil?
- Safe and Secure: Fuel oil is not explosive and can only be ignited when using a specific system. This means it can be stored safely and used in boilers and furnaces without any safety issues.
- Economical: Depending on when you purchase fuel oil, you will probably find that it is cheaper to use than gas and electricity. It’s also very efficient, which means you won’t have to refill your tank as often as you might think.
We hope you have learnt something new today about fuel oil. If you have more questions or you would like to place an order, then please give us a call on 0845 313 0845 or fill in the online quote form and we will get back to you.