Online Quote Call Now

4 Ways to Protect Your Business Against Power Loss

4 ways to protect your business against power loss

Being caught unprepared in the event of a power failure can cost your business vital revenue, so knowing what you can do to be prepared against a loss of power is essential.

Lightning can strike twice

On 9th August 2019, lighting struck the National Grid’s infrastructure and knocked out two generators over 100 miles apart.

What followed was a chain of events that the National Grid described as an “extremely rare and unexpected event”, leading to almost 1 million homes and businesses being left in the dark across the UK.

Widespread travel disruption affected hundreds of thousands of commuters across the southwest of England, whilst homes and businesses were without power for over an hour.

But could the blackout have been prevented?

Keeping power in reserve

The National Grid holds enough power in reserve to cover the loss of one of its main generators; but due to the adverse weather conditions on 9th August, the backup simply wasn’t enough.

The simultaneous loss of the Little Barford plant in Bedfordshire, shortly followed by the Hornsea offshore wind farm, created a set of circumstances that forced the National Grid to selectively cut power to 5% of the grid in order to protect the other 95%.

However; as reported by The Guardian, this strike wasn’t the “extremely rare and unexpected event” described by the National Grid – there were three other near misses in the 12 weeks leading up to the blackout.

So whilst the National Grid says it’s learning lessons from this event, it’s clear that the UK may not have the energy security that it needs. Fuel users need to be aware of the risks and impact of a blackout on their operations, and we’re here to help with ways businesses (and domestic users) can prepare for a sudden loss of power.

How to prepare your business for a blackout

1. Prevention is better than cure

It’s an old adage, but one that still holds true. Ensuring your energy consumption is both efficient and controlled is the best way to help reduce the risk of power cuts. The less power you draw from the grid, the more will be available in the event of an emergency.

2. Invest in backup power

If you don’t have it in place already, consider implementing a backup system that can keep your facilities running in the event of a prolonged power outage. There are less environmentally-impactful options such as wind and solar power combined with onsite batteries, or more traditional measures such as fuel-powered emergency generators.

3. Check your fuel systems regularly

If you already have a contingency system in place, make sure it’s up to scratch and will be able to take the strain. Check your fuel quality, tanks, pipework, filters and pumps at least twice a year, and ensure any solar panels or wind turbines are free from obstruction.

Handy Hint: Through our sister company, Crown Oil Environmental, your business can claim a free site survey which can help identify and suggest remedies for your business’ fuel issues. Click below to claim yours!

Book your free site survey

4. Use the best quality fuel

To ensure year-round protection, your fuel needs to be high-quality and all-season. Whilst diesel is a common choice, it’s not the most effective for use in generators. Second generation biofuels, such as HVO fuel, offer up to 10 years storage life, compared to 1 year for regular diesel, and are usable all year round, where other liquid fuels have summer and winter grades.

Learn more about HVO Fuel

Are you concerned about your business’ energy security? Call our team today on 0330 123 1444 to see how Crown Oil can help your business prepare against blackouts and a loss of power.

Tonnes of net CO2 saved across our transport fleet

Read more

Our Journey to Net Zero Carbon


7 Reasons to Choose Crown Oil


Unrivalled Service from Start to End


Online Quote