Crown Oil Receives Special Recognition at the Business Champion Awards
We are absolutely over the moon to have received a Special Recognition Award in The Business Champion Awards Sustainability Category! It’s a true honour to be recognised by such a prestigious award for our environmental efforts over the last 12 months.
Our team had a fantastic night in London’s Canary Wharf where the winners of each category were announced following a fantastic evening of networking, food and drinks.
A perfect end to a fabulous trip…
Our A-Team were Thinking Out Loud on the train home and couldn’t miss the Perfect opportunity to get a Photograph with Ed Sheeran…
It was a big Plus!
Key sustainability achievements & policy changes
As a UK leading fuel distributor, we recognise the impact of our business on the global environment. Rather than using this to justify inaction, we’ve incorporated sustainability into our business strategy and are striving to reduce our emissions across all aspects of our organisation.
- Entire fleet fuelled with HVO
- Carbon neutral business since April 2022
- Reduced scope 1 and 2 emissions by 83%
- All diesel equipment operated with HVO
- Invested in new site to provide additional space for expanding sustainable fuels operation
- Walk/cycle to work days to encourage staff to leave the car at home
- All new stationary made from recycled/biodegradable materials
- 362 solar panels installed across buildings, saving around 27,000kg of CO2 per year
- EV chargers installed at offices for staff
- Increased insulation and user-friendly heating controls
- Offices will be powered by renewable energy in 2023
- Prevented 85% of general waste from going to landfill through new waste reduction policy
- All small vehicles electrified by 2029
- Net zero direct emissions by 2030
Although we can’t currently reduce the downstream emissions of all the products we supply, we’re on a mission to achieve net zero direct emissions (scope 1 and 2) by 2030 while assisting the UK with the import and distribution of low emission, cleaner burning fuel alternatives.
We hope this showcases that even a downstream distribution fuel supplier like Crown Oil can make a small but significant difference to environmental issues while helping our customers and partners on their own sustainability journey.
There’s no hiding from the fact that we supply fossil fuels. We feel this gives us a greater responsibility than most when it comes to protecting the environment. Aiming for net-zero by 2030 is both a brave and bold move but one that proves our commitment to doing what’s right for both our business and the planet.
What are our next steps?
- Maintain ‘Carbon Neutral’ status in accordance with PAS 2060 standard
- Publicly share methodology and approach
- Achieve net zero direct carbon emissions by 2030
In terms of emission reductions, we aim to:
- Cut our scope 1 and 2 by 80% 2025 against 2020 baseline
- Cut our scope 1 and 2 by 90% by 2028
To ensure we achieve this we:
- Are continuing to educate customers – adding carbon footprint of fuel use on all invoices to raise awareness
- Switching to renewable energy tariffs across the Group
- Working on initiatives to reduce our scope 3 emissions further
- Continuing with staff volunteering days to ensure we continue improving our corporate social responsibility while supporting those in need
- Ensuring our sustainability team meets regularly so we don’t lose pace and are on track with our goals
- Hosting online webinar to share best practice