Crown HVO Fuel (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil Fuel) – Reduce up to 90% of Net CO2 Emissions
Global warming is everyone’s business. But what can businesses do to help? We all have a responsibility to reduce our local emissions – and Crown HVO fuel is invaluable in doing so.
Simply switch your fossil fuel for Crown HVO and you will reduce your net CO2 greenhouse gas emissions by up to 90% right away.
Crown HVO fuel is available for delivery across the UK within 48 hours of order. We also offer flexible trial packages which include a sustainable fuel station loan. Call us on 0330 123 1444 to discuss the various options available.
HVO Fuel Benefits
Learn more about the operational and environmental benefits of switching to HVO fuel.
Change is coming, so why not lead the way with Crown HVO fuel?
Crown HVO fuel offers a fast and simple step towards “net zero” rather than the leap needed for electrification. With a large number of OEM approvals, HVO can used without changes to infrastructure or capital expenditure, removing cost barriers and enabling a practical step towards decarbonisation. Make the right choice and switch to an advanced renewable diesel fuel today.
As one of the largest distributors of Crown HVO fuel in the country, we can supply HVO to wherever you are, with some of the quickest delivery times in the industry. Find out more about the paraffinic diesel and start reducing your environmental footprint right away and call us today on 0330 123 1444.
What’s more, by using Crown HVO fuel in your business, you will:
- Improve your brand image and reputation
- Make your business more attractive to potential partners and investors
- Gain supplier chain value
- See year-on-year improvement in annual CSR reporting
- Be doing your bit for the environment!
For every 1,000 litres of diesel burned, you will produce 3.6 tonnes of greenhouse gas CO2, compared to just 195kg GHG CO2 for every 1,000 litres of HVO burned.
Crown HVO fuel OEM approvals
Heavy Duty Road Vehicles
To check that your model of heavy-duty road vehicle, passenger car or non-road vehicle can use Crown HVO, please check your handbook or contact the manufacturer.
In the two months our wagons have been running on HVO, we have been very impressed with the performance, with no change in the miles per gallon of the vehicles, while refueling has also been made simple through our onsite HVO tank supplied and regularly stocked by Crown Oil.David McCreath, TRANSPORT MANAGER, Simpsons Malt
Discover what else our customers have said about using HVO in their business and visit our alternative fuels, customer case studies page.
Our Goal: “To be the number one supplier of advanced liquid renewable fuels to the UK market”
Benefits of HVO fuel
- Up to 90% reduction in net CO2 greenhouse emissions: significantly better for the environment than regular diesel or biodiesel
- Renewable, sustainable and 100% biodegradable: synthesised from waste fats and vegetable oils
- Reduces notifiable particulate matter (PM) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions: improved air quality
- Drop-in replacement for regular diesel & gas oil: meets EN15940 standard for paraffinic fuels and Fuel Quality Directive 2009/30/EC Annex II. A wide range of OEM approvals means it can often be used without needing engine and machinery modification
- Excellent cold-weather performance: higher cetane number (up to 90) and low cloud point (-32OC) provides better starting performance, clean combustion and less chance of waxing in extreme temperatures
- High flashpoint: improved safety, storage and handling compared to regular diesel
- Reduced need for regular testing: impurities are removed during the production process, eliminating the key factors for fuel degradation and increasing shelf life to around 10 years
- Certified by the ISCC: all raw materials are audited and checked to ensure integrity of product
Interested in trialling HVO fuel? Find out about our sustainable fuel stations
We’re proud to offer CrownCube fuel stations to ensure the safe storage of your alternative fuels. The tanks come in either 5,300-litre, 10,000 litre or 20,000-litre capacity and offer superior security for stationary fuelling. Featuring a full-height lockable cabinet and secure hose access, these bulk storage units are perfect for long-term projects. With a 110% bunded design that complies with BS799 Part 5, the CrownCube ensures an environmentally safe solution for bulk fuel storage.
We can also offer a flexible trial package which includes a sustainable fuel station loan. Call us today on 0330 107 1329 to discuss the various options available.
- Shutter access door – high-security locking system to protect your liquid assets
- 110% bunded – environmentally safe outer tank can hold all contents from the inner tank to prevent leaking
- Access hatch – easy maintenance and access to the inner tank
- Lifting eyes – ensures easy handling (empty only) and positioning onsite
- Safe solution – tried and tested approved storage to keep your fuel safe outdoors
- Pump cabinet – 600mm depth for easy install of pumps and accessories
What is HVO fuel?
Crown HVO (hydrotreated vegetable oil) is a premium, high quality diesel fuel made from renewable, sustainable raw materials – all which do not release any new CO2 into the atmosphere.
HVO is part of the paraffinic family of fuels which are stable, renewable, sustainable and high quality, making it perfectly suited for a wide range of applications including vehicles, generators and industrial power systems.
HVO meets EN 15940 standards and Fuel Quality Directive 2009/30/EC Annex II so can be used as a direct, drop-in alternative to mineral diesel without modifications to infrastructure or high initial investments. Simply place an order of Crown HVO fuel today and start reducing your CO2 emissions right away.
The feedstocks used to manufacture Crown HVO are 100% waste, drawn from primary sources which have bypassed damage to the environment, natural ecosystem and the drive for global deforestation. All raw materials are checked and verified, and the fuel’s credentials audited by the Department for Transport (DFT) to ensure both sustainability and product integrity are certified.
HVO meets bio content requirements with no FAME included and, to that point, avoids the instability and operability issues seen by many low blend diesel fuels and high blend biofuels.
For more information on Crown HVO fuel, visit our HVO Fuel FAQ page where we delve into the advanced renewable diesel fuel further.
What is the price of HVO fuel?
The true unit cost of HVO fuel is higher than regular diesel, at around 10-15% more in the price per litre, which is understandably the debating point when considering a new fuel, and rightly so with many red diesel users facing a 46ppl increase in April 2022. But when you consider the bigger picture, the cost of ownership can be greatly reduced when using HVO and moving to it is by far the quickest and cheapest way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions:
- No large upfront costs or modifications needed to switch existing equipment can be used to store, distribute and run on HVO
- Reduced need for regular testing (FAME and ester-free fuel)
- Can be stored year-round with no need for seasonal stock replacements
- Average 10% reduction in AdBlue consumption
- Reduced storage costs – up to 10 year shelf life
Crown HVO versus standard diesel
We enlisted the help of fully independent test house, Applied Emissions, to help us carry out an experiment to test Crown HVO’s chemical output when compared to standard diesel.
Watch the video here to find out more and to see the results:
If you’re looking for a bulk supplier of the clean-burning, environmentally-friendly alternative to mineral diesel, with the added benefit of a significantly longer shelf life, get in touch with our HVO experts today by calling 0330 123 1444 for a HVO fuel quote.
HVO fuel process: HVO vs FAME biodiesel
Crown HVO is the cleanest fuel on the market thanks to the HVO production process which uses a highly controlled hydrogenation and isomerisation process to remove impurities from the fuel. Once treated, the result is a consistent, quality, paraffinic product that operates in exactly the same way as diesel, but with considerable less chance of fuel degradation. Using Crown HVO therefore allows you to store it for up to 10 years, compared to just 1 year for regular diesel products.
One of the main hurdles that biodiesel and gas oil producers have been trying to overcome is the stability of their fuel and HVO fuel solves that issue, as it’s FAME-free. Regular biodiesel (FAME) is a mixture of fatty acid methyl esters with varying degrees of unsaturation which are susceptible to oxidation. In addition, gas oil has seen an increase in FAME content, which has led to an increase in logistical problems, particularly with their fuel filters.
FAME absorbs atmospheric moisture, which increases the risk of microbial attack over time. This is why FAME biodiesel and gas oil have to be closely monitored to ensure it’s still usable. Because the HVO production process removes unsaturation and contaminants resulting in a pure hydrocarbon fuel, it is much more stable and likely to last longer in the tank than conventional biodiesel and gas oil.
How does HVO fuel compare to other fuels?
In a large number of areas, HVO is actually superior to other forms of fuel – be it fossil-fuel or biofuels.
The table below compares the different characteristics of HVO fuel, FAME, and regular diesel. The advantages of HVO fuel speak for themselves.
|Distillation Level, C||200 – 350||340 – 355||200 – 320|
|Cetane Level||51||50 – 65||70 – 90|
|Stability from Oxidation||Average||Below Average – Poor||Excellent|
What are the benefits of HVO fuel bought from Crown Oil?
- We’re a trusted, family-run HVO fuel supplier – With over 70 years’ experience supplying fuels and lubricants, our friendly service and efficient deliveries have made us the no.1 choice for businesses throughout the UK
- We’re on a mission to become the UK’s leading alternative fuels supplier – we a number of environmental initiatives in place to reduce our emissions
- Standard 24 – 48-hour delivery – We offer a range of delivery options to ensure you never have to wait for that sorely needed HVO delivery, or even worse, experience business downtime
- National coverage across the UK – We really will deliver your HVO fuel to wherever you are; with fuel depots all over the UK, we have some of the quickest delivery times in the industry
- High-quality fuel, stored on-site – Due to storing our HVO fuel on-site, we are able to deliver our fuel within our usual 24 – 48-hours.
- Bulk HVO quantities – To enable you to make bigger savings in the long run, we can provide bulk deliveries from 36,000 litres and more, made possible with our fleet of tankers
- Flexible payment terms – Business customer? We offer some of the most flexible payment terms in the industry to suit your budget and schedule
- Affordable prices – With our vast buying power, you’re guaranteed a great price for your HVO fuel all year round
- Unrivalled customer service – From our dedicated Account Managers to our friendly delivery drivers, our service is famously professional yet personal
- Free Fuel Management Service – We understand how busy your lives can be when running a business. Simply opt-in when ordering your red diesel and we’ll monitor your usage and provide top-ups when required
Our own fleet is now run on HVO fuel
We’re proud to announce that our entire fleet is now run on HVO fuel and predict a saving of 3080 tonnes of CO2 every year which is equivalent to driving around the Earth 51 times!
If you would like to learn more about Crown HVO fuel or to request a quote for a competitive price from a trusted HVO fuel UK supplier, call our HVO experts today on 0330 123 1444.
* Crown Oil HVO fuel complies with BS EN 15940 being the British Standard for paraffinic diesel fuel which is a new generation of cleaner transport fuel for use in road vehicles. If your vehicle is still within the manufacturer`s warranty or if you have taken out mechanical breakdown insurance, we recommend you check with the manufacturer or insurer that use of our product will not affect your cover. We cannot be held responsible for any issues with your vehicle connected to its age or pre-existing condition.